Yes! Whangarei is helping with the fundraising and building of The Hundertwasser Art Centre with Wairau Māori Art Gallery. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a unique arts and cultural facility imagined for the city by Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
Once built the centre will be a wakahuia, a treasure box, of exemplary artworks from renowned contemporary Māori artists, and original Hundertwasser artworks provided from the collection in Vienna. It will be located at the site Hundertwasser chose, on the corner Quayside and Riverside at the town basin. It will be an iconic landmark on a grand scale and the last authentic Hundertwasser building in the world.
Like the artist’s work, this stunning building will be multi-faceted and multi-functional with features including a state-of-the-art main gallery of Hundertwasser’s work and a contemporary Māori Art Gallery in keeping with Hundertwasser’s wishes.
This is an opportunity to help create something inspiring and enduring. The Whangarei HAC will be a unique gift to the people of New Zealand.
- The last authentic Hundertwasser building in the world, right in the heart of Whangarei’s beautiful waterfront.
- A stunning landmark which will be one of New Zealand’s most iconic buildings, attracting visitors from throughout New Zealand and around the globe.
- A unique opportunity to transform Whangarei into an international tourist destination.
- A catalyst project for the total re-invigoration of the Whangarei Town Basin and culture, heritage and arts precinct.
- A national treasure, a taonga, something for the people of New Zealand that we can all be proud of.